Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution appertains to depositing and/or sharing certain web content on a hosting server run by a hosting supplier. There are various kinds of hosting services utilized for different goals, so let's explore these. In that way, you can determine what you need, depending on whether you'd like to set up a web page, email address accounts, or to share files with friends and partners.
- File hosting: a service made available by given firms, which enables you to share immense files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single goal is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your web browser. Free file hosting accounts frequently include adverts beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a given interval of time to perceive them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file hosting plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a totally incongruous interpretation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allot the load between different stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous web space hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, webspace hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; given corporations provide a hosting solution for pictures solely. This hosting variant is good if you want to share a big quantity of images with friends or acquaintances since the solution is generally free of cost. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to taking care of your email accounts. Some providers offer web hosting solutions for websites, but do not supply an e-mail service. If you desire to possess a mail address with your domain name but do not want to run a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can open email accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a specific amount of CPU load, so with a bunch of videos and a few hundred web site viewers, you may have a problem with your hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will allow you to own as many video files as you desire without bothering about system resources.
- Web page hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to have a site. To some degree, it consists of all of the abovementioned hosting varieties since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and email accounts, upload videos, etc. At Papua Web Hosting, for example, you can view web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that allow you to get all of the aforementioned solutions in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the type of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the normal e-mail/file/video/image hosting packages that are tailored for specific web content only.